Parent Comms 29th Jan
Click for video message or continue reading below.
I cannot quite believe that we are 4 weeks into the term already. I also cannot tell you how proud we all are of how well the majority of students have adapted to this new way of working. Our year group trackers show that each week, more students are not just attending their lessons, but really engaging positively and doing what needs to be done. Thank you for your support.
Having said all this, we know that sitting in front of a screen all day can be hard and requires lots of motivation. Today, I delivered an assembly to Years 10 and 11 in which I wanted to remind them that there is light at the end of the tunnel and used the example of Amanda Gorman’s brilliant poem which she wrote for Jo Biden’s inauguration last week.
Ms Ferguson is working hard putting together resources to help sixth form students organise their time and work, and most importantly stay well both physically and mentally. She will be making a series of short videos to help with this; please encourage your children to watch them. Year 12 particularly have been hit hard by this lockdown, having lost a big chunk of their GCSE year, and now this.
No matter which year group your child is in, please contact their prep tutor if you have any concerns at all. We remain committed to supporting them through this time and preparing them for bright futures. They are our future!
The food bank is well-stocked and is now open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Please make use of this if you need to.
You have probably heard on the news that schools will not reopen until 8th March and I imagine this is optimistic. We will ensure we communicate any plans for reopening in good time and will only do so when it is safe. In the meantime, please see below for more information on supporting home learning, keeping your children safe online and other organisations you can contact for help should you need to.
Logic Studio School
Keeping Children Safe Online
Obviously, the move towards online and remote learning has been a massive change for students, parents and teachers. Thank you for your support in getting our students online and engaging with their lessons and work as much as they have in recent weeks. We have been really pleased with the engagement of the majority of our students and are following up issues with other students.
We don’t know how long the current situation will continue so I just wanted to remind parents of some key points around online safety for our students, particularly with how we deliver lessons at Logic. There are also some key website links below with further information for parents. Please feel free to speak to your child’s tutor or Achievement Coordinator if you have any further questions.
- Students are expected to join all online lessons and engage with their work as they would do in school. This is monitored and tracked by all staff, with follow up by ACO’s and form tutors.
- Students should only use their school google accounts for all lessons and remote learning. This allows us to support you by monitoring their interactions online.
- Our behaviour expectations remain the same. Students should behave in an acceptable way within live lessons and anyone who is unable to do this will face further sanctions. This includes making silly or inappropriate comments in live lessons, the ‘chat bar’ or in google classrooms.
- Students will only be allowed into google classrooms and live lessons when using their school account. We will not allow students to enter using alternative accounts. This stops non students joining lessons.
- All live lessons are recorded by staff. This allows us to share these recordings with students who may wish to revisit these lessons but also to help us deal with any potential behavioural issues.
- We are constantly reviewing the work we are setting students and the amount of time we are asking students to spend online. Obviously, we want students to learn but we also want them to use their screen time effectively.
Some Online Safety Support Resources
- Internet Matters – Parent advice – https://www.internetmatters.org/advice/14plus/
- Thinkuknow website – advice for parents – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/14_plus/
- NSPCC – https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/
A reminder that at the bottom of this communication, you will find lots of information regarding parent, student and family support that is available via Logic and also via Hounslow Council and other support services. All of these options are available to families that require help in different ways at this time.
Useful Online Learning Resources
To support your child’s online learning, we have included a list for GCSE subjects. We will continue to update these each week and will get more for sixth form students in the coming weeks.
- Seneca Learning – FREE videos, quizzes and activities
- Oak National Academy – FREE lessons for all subjects
- BBC Bitesize – check which exam board you are doing and you will find resources and quizzes for all your subjects. These can be found on the school website.
- Tassomai – All students have this app on their phone, the school has paid for everyone to have an account. Regular daily testing has been proven to improve grades!
- English and Media Centre – have loads of online resources for free. You just have to create an account and then download. It seems as if you are buying them, but then the basket total comes up as £0.00.
All students have been emailed a unique code she found in each of their revision guides so they can register an account on CGP and access an online version of the revision guide. Some have theirs at home for some reason…
- Tassomai Chemistry revision videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfvaochWvw&list=PLP663p7iSxWL7_x6EPLB2naowWweQ7QUn
Geography and History
For Y10 Geography, our new topic is ‘Development Dynamics’
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zs7wrdm/revision/1
- 2. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/462bb5d2-8ea2-4083-b0fc-e25e4d85d946
- 3. https://www.coolgeography.co.uk/gcsen/EW_Measures_Development.php
For Y10 History, Nazi Germany:
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zsvhk7h/revision/2
- 2. https://spartacus-educational.com/GERnazigermany.htm
- 3. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/41857c40-325b-11e8-9e12-b76930b9a46c
For Y11 History, Superpower Relations and the Cold War:
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z3h9mnb/revision/10
- 2. https://spartacus-educational.com/ColdWar.htm
- 3. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/4cb62f70-25d5-11e8-997c-45e9415ece8c
Parent and Student Support
Please see the link below to the school website. Here you will find information about where you can get help as a student, parent or carer. This includes support for mental health, food banks and financial support.
We would also like to highlight the following that we may also be able to help you with if needed:
Free School Meals
- Students who are eligible for Free School Meals will continue to receive vouchers as previous and these will start next week. If you have any issues, please contact your child’s form tutor to discuss.
- If your circumstances have changed and you now think you are eligible to apply for Free School Meals, please visit the school website using the link below, complete the form and email this with your required evidence to email@example.com
- The link is https://www.logicstudioschool.org/well-being/
- Further information on eligibility criteria can also be found here on the Hounslow Council website: https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20025/schools_and_colleges/61/free_school_meals
Laptop and Phone Data Support
- The DFE has arranged with key phone providers to remove the caps for data charges and provide extra data for students who need to access online learning and resources.
- This request has to come from the school and requires a variety of information in order for us to apply for this (as below).
- If you need support for this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the relevant information and she will apply for you. It is not guaranteed that you will be successful with your application.
For each request, we need to know:
- the name of the account holder
- the number of the mobile device
- the mobile network of that device (for example Three)
- Whether it’s a contract or Pay as you go phone.
Free Sanitary Products
For female students who are financially struggling to purchase sanitary items, we are able to provide these via the school. Please email email@example.com to discuss.
Hounslow Council Website Help Pages and Family Support
Hounslow Children and Families Information Page.
NEW on Facebook
A new Hounslow Children & Families Information page is being launched this week on Facebook .
This will be linked to the main Council Facebook page but provides a dedicated social media space to focus on items of interest to families, which is particularly helpful at this time when we are relying more on digital delivery and communication.
We hope that this page will become a rich source of information for families in the borough and welcome contributions from all partners on topics such as:
- Messages for families/awareness-raising
- Service updates
- Information on new services/facilities in the borough
- Other information which may be helpful to families, e.g. videos, tips, ‘did you know’ etc.