Parent Comms 22nd Jan
Click for video message or continue reading below.
It has been a very busy week at Logic as teachers have been enthusiastically learning lots of new hints and tips to make their lessons as interactive and enjoyable as possible. We all desperately want to be in our classrooms doing face-to-face teaching, but in the meantime the Logic teachers have shown real determination and creativity in their lessons by doing quizzes, polls, breakout rooms and much more.
Excitingly, you will be able to see some of this in action tonight on Channel 5 at 5pm and 6:30pm, so make sure you tune in to see what’s been happening!
You will have seen lots in the news about GCSEs, A Level and BTEC exams. The government has asked for the views of teachers and students across the country and will give clearer details shortly. One thing is certain, and that is for subjects with exams, there will still be some form of assessment this summer; so it goes without saying that attendance to and engagement in lessons is more important than ever. Thank you again for your supporting your children with their online learning.
There have been some pretty frightening statistics about infection rates and the number of people in hospital. I firmly believe that this virus has hit our young people the hardest; they are missing out on seeing their friends, playing sports, having parties and all the other things that they should be doing. However, it still stands that young people are more likely to show no symptoms if they contract Covid 19 and therefore to infect other people without knowing. Whilst it’s hard, we all have to do our bit and should stay at home, get a test if you have symptoms and isolate if you test positive.
We are also aware that the pandemic has meant difficult times for some of our families. Please remember that we are working with Springwest to deliver a twice weekly FOOD BANK every Wednesday and Friday from 10am – 12pm. This is located in the Springwest reception. Please come along if you require any food, health or household supplies.
If we have arranged with you directly for your children to come onsite to work, we will now be reverting back to twice weekly testing. This means they will need to be tested on Mondays and Thursdays and should arrive and wait in reception at 9.30am and wait there until they are collected for their test. On other days, students should arrive at 9.50am and wait in reception.
Useful Online Resources
To support your child’s online learning, we have included a list for GCSE subjects. We will continue to update these each week and will get more for sixth form students in the coming weeks.
- Seneca Learning – FREE videos, quizzes and activities
- Oak National Academy – FREE lessons for all subjects
- BBC Bitesize – check which exam board you are doing and you will find resources and quizzes for all your subjects. These can be found on the school website.
- Tassomai – All students have this app on their phone, the school has paid for everyone to have an account. Regular daily testing has been proven to improve grades!
- English and Media Centre – have loads of online resources for free. You just have to create an account and then download. It seems as if you are buying them, but then the basket total comes up as £0.00.
All students have been emailed a unique code she found in each of their revision guides so they can register an account on CGP and access an online version of the revision guide. Some have theirs at home for some reason…
- Tassomai Chemistry revision videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfvaochWvw&list=PLP663p7iSxWL7_x6EPLB2naowWweQ7QUn
Geography and History
For Y10 Geography, our new topic is ‘Development Dynamics’
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zs7wrdm/revision/1
- 2. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/462bb5d2-8ea2-4083-b0fc-e25e4d85d946
- 3. https://www.coolgeography.co.uk/gcsen/EW_Measures_Development.php
For Y10 History, Nazi Germany:
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zsvhk7h/revision/2
- 2. https://spartacus-educational.com/GERnazigermany.htm
- 3. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/41857c40-325b-11e8-9e12-b76930b9a46c
For Y11 History, Superpower Relations and the Cold War:
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z3h9mnb/revision/10
- 2. https://spartacus-educational.com/ColdWar.htm
- 3. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/4cb62f70-25d5-11e8-997c-45e9415ece8c
Parent and Student Support
Please see the link below to the school website. Here you will find information about where you can get help as a student, parent or carer. This includes support for mental health, food banks and financial support.
We would also like to highlight the following that we may also be able to help you with if needed:
Free School Meals
- Students who are eligible for Free School Meals will continue to receive vouchers as previous and these will start next week. If you have any issues, please contact your child’s form tutor to discuss.
- If your circumstances have changed and you now think you are eligible to apply for Free School Meals, please visit the school website using the link below, complete the form and email this with your required evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The link is https://www.logicstudioschool.org/well-being/
- Further information on eligibility criteria can also be found here on the Hounslow Council website: https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20025/schools_and_colleges/61/free_school_meals
Laptop and Phone Data Support
- The DFE has arranged with key phone providers to remove the caps for data charges and provide extra data for students who need to access online learning and resources.
- This request has to come from the school and requires a variety of information in order for us to apply for this (as below).
- If you need support for this, please contact email@example.com with the relevant information and she will apply for you. It is not guaranteed that you will be successful with your application.
For each request, we need to know:
- the name of the account holder
- the number of the mobile device
- the mobile network of that device (for example Three)
- Whether it’s a contract or Pay as you go phone.
Free Sanitary Products
For female students who are financially struggling to purchase sanitary items, we are able to provide these via the school. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
Hounslow Council Website Help Page
Hounslow Children and Families Information Page.
NEW on Facebook
A new Hounslow Children & Families Information page is being launched this week on Facebook .
This will be linked to the main Council Facebook page but provides a dedicated social media space to focus on items of interest to families, which is particularly helpful at this time when we are relying more on digital delivery and communication.
We hope that this page will become a rich source of information for families in the borough and welcome contributions from all partners on topics such as:
- Messages for families/awareness-raising
- Service updates
- Information on new services/facilities in the borough
- Other information which may be helpful to families, e.g. videos, tips, ‘did you know’ etc.