Parent Comms 5th Feb
Click for video message or continue reading below.
This week I have met with groups of students to ask about how they are finding this lockdown, both in terms of their learning and their wellbeing. We know that for many it is a lonely time and they are missing their friends and wider families. Working in front of a screen most of the day is also hard, especially when the future seems so uncertain.
Please encourage your children to take part in the range of wellbeing activities Prep Tutors will be giving them and if they are struggling, to let someone know. Don’t suffer in silence. We can arrange a meeting with a personal coach and discuss other options with them if needed.
If you normally receive free school meals, then arrangements for half term are slightly different. Please check your emails on 15th February for a £15 voucher from Wonde.
I would like to congratulate Year 10 students on spending nearly 1500 minutes on Tassomai between them last week! It would be great to see more Year 11 using the app to support their revision in key subjects as well. If you would like to see more about how to support your children using Tassomai, they are running webinars, details can be found here.
At the end of next week, you will receive a report for your child which will tell you their attendance and how well they have engaged with their work since January. Although we haven’t heard any more about reopening in March, we are continuing to plan for most of the activities that would take place next half term.
Below you will find a poster with lots of links to organisations and websites that can help students plan for their futures, with a particular focus on university and student finance. The document with live links can be found HERE
In the meantime, stay safe, and stay in touch.
Logic Studio School
National Apprenticeship Week
For students and parents, we wanted to draw your attention to the National Apprenticeship Week which takes place from Monday 8th to Sunday 14th February. Whether you are looking for the next step after leaving school, or looking for a career change, National Apprenticeship Week is the perfect opportunity to find out more about apprenticeships and to participate in some of the free activities that have been prepared for you from a wide variety of organisations. From a Careers Fair hosted by UCAS, to National Skills Days and The BIG Assembly, there is something for everyone. Please click on the link here to find out how you can get involved and help plan your future- https://amazingapprenticeships.com/naw2021/ and click here for details of specific talks and activities – https://amazingapprenticeships.com/resource/naw2021-events-listing/
A reminder that at the bottom of this communication, you will find lots of information regarding parent, student and family support that is available via Logic and also via Hounslow Council and other support services. All of these options are available to families that require help in different ways at this time. and a reminder that our Food Bank runs every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am-12pm in the reception of our partner school, Springwest Academy.
Invitation For Parents: Success Beyond School
Free expert advice on guiding your child to a successful career. We are delighted to announce our “Success Beyond School” events for this term: free-of-charge interactive ‘Live Online’ seminars designed to help parents supercharge their children’s career potential. Click on the date to access links.
How to break into careers in medicine, dentistry and veterinary science
How your child can build a powerful professional network
The Kickstart scheme provides jobs for Universal Credit claimants aged 16 to 24 who are deemed at risk of long-term unemployment. From 3 February 2021, employers will be able to apply to the Kickstart Scheme without a minimum threshold of 30 jobs. The scheme provides jobs of 25 hours per week for 6 months. For further information please see https://kickstart.campaign.gov.uk/
Feel Good Fitness
Feel Good Fitness is a range of activities to help support you to better health. Take your first feel good step today! More Information – https://www.brentfordfccst.com/feel-good-fitness-programme/
- Feel Good Fitness Football includes a range of fun football skills and challenges that can be done safely indoors – boost your fitness and mood with tips from our coaches.
- Feel Good Fitness Couch to 5K is suitable for complete beginners with support to progress each week, and practical tips to help you support your mental wellbeing..
- Feel Good Fitness Sessions combine cardio, strength and flexibility exercises and will get you into the habit of regular exercise in 10 weeks whilst improving your fitness and mood.
- All sessions will be delivered online at this time, with support from IAPT (West London NHS).
Useful Online Learning Resources
To support your child’s online learning, we have included a list for GCSE subjects. We will continue to update these each week and will get more for sixth form students in the coming weeks.
- Seneca Learning – FREE videos, quizzes and activities
- Oak National Academy – FREE lessons for all subjects
- BBC Bitesize – check which exam board you are doing and you will find resources and quizzes for all your subjects. These can be found on the school website.
- Tassomai – All students have this app on their phone, the school has paid for everyone to have an account. Regular daily testing has been proven to improve grades!
- English and Media Centre – have loads of online resources for free. You just have to create an account and then download. It seems as if you are buying them, but then the basket total comes up as £0.00.
All students have been emailed a unique code she found in each of their revision guides so they can register an account on CGP and access an online version of the revision guide. Some have theirs at home for some reason…
- Tassomai Chemistry revision videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfvaochWvw&list=PLP663p7iSxWL7_x6EPLB2naowWweQ7QUn
Geography and History
For Y10 Geography, our new topic is ‘Development Dynamics’
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zs7wrdm/revision/1
- 2. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/462bb5d2-8ea2-4083-b0fc-e25e4d85d946
- 3. https://www.coolgeography.co.uk/gcsen/EW_Measures_Development.php
For Y10 History, Nazi Germany:
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zsvhk7h/revision/2
- 2. https://spartacus-educational.com/GERnazigermany.htm
- 3. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/41857c40-325b-11e8-9e12-b76930b9a46c
For Y11 History, Superpower Relations and the Cold War:
- 1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z3h9mnb/revision/10
- 2. https://spartacus-educational.com/ColdWar.htm
- 3. https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/4cb62f70-25d5-11e8-997c-45e9415ece8c
Parent and Student Support
Please see the link below to the school website. Here you will find information about where you can get help as a student, parent or carer. This includes support for mental health, food banks and financial support.
Some Online Safety Support Resources
- Internet Matters – Parent advice – https://www.internetmatters.org/advice/14plus/
- Thinkuknow website – advice for parents – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/14_plus/
- NSPCC – https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/
Free School Meals
- Students who are eligible for Free School Meals will continue to receive vouchers as previous and these will start next week. If you have any issues, please contact your child’s form tutor to discuss.
- If your circumstances have changed and you now think you are eligible to apply for Free School Meals, please visit the school website using the link below, complete the form and email this with your required evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The link is https://www.logicstudioschool.org/well-being/
- Further information on eligibility criteria can also be found here on the Hounslow Council website: https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20025/schools_and_colleges/61/free_school_meals
Laptop and Phone Data Support
- The DFE has arranged with key phone providers to remove the caps for data charges and provide extra data for students who need to access online learning and resources.
- This request has to come from the school and requires a variety of information in order for us to apply for this (as below).
- If you need support for this, please contact email@example.com with the relevant information and she will apply for you. It is not guaranteed that you will be successful with your application.
For each request, we need to know:
- the name of the account holder
- the number of the mobile device
- the mobile network of that device (for example Three)
- Whether it’s a contract or Pay as you go phone.
Free Sanitary Products
For female students who are financially struggling to purchase sanitary items, we are able to provide these via the school. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
Hounslow Council Website Help Pages and Family Support
Hounslow Children and Families Information Page.
NEW on Facebook
A new Hounslow Children & Families Information page is being launched this week on Facebook .
This will be linked to the main Council Facebook page but provides a dedicated social media space to focus on items of interest to families, which is particularly helpful at this time when we are relying more on digital delivery and communication.
We hope that this page will become a rich source of information for families in the borough and welcome contributions from all partners on topics such as:
- Messages for families/awareness-raising
- Service updates
- Information on new services/facilities in the borough
- Other information which may be helpful to families, e.g. videos, tips, ‘did you know’ etc.